Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Toyes

I should've been writing about Sublime today but throughout my research, I discovered one thing. The song “Smoked Two Joints” that was popularized by Nowell and the rest of the band was actually an original of The Toyes.

This pic was taken in 1983 (typical). See their latest pics below and spot the difference. Hehehe

Obviously, I've (and surely many others've) never heard of them, but again, this doesn't mean they're not good. I've listened to the original and it was, I think, fantabulous. The song was mostly and mistakelny attributed to the late Bob Marley. And this was what I was thinking when I picked to write about Sublime next. I thought “Smoke Two Joints” was done by Marley.

The Toyes plays traditional reggae that can be described as a fusion of the music of Marley and the Barenaked Ladies. Though the cut by Sublime was made more influential, the original track was actually recorded way back in 1983 and released just in 1993. The Toyes has also made a mark in the music scene through their strong advocacy to propagate their support to the legalization of marijuana.


The Toyes at the Seattle Hempfest in 1999>>





B-dub & Mawg at World Hemp Festival 2000 photo by Sue Byrd>>




Listen to their version..

Kewl.. (You'd even think they've

been influenced by Asin.. check intro)

;)




Smoke Two Joints - The Toyer

No comments: